A young man, barely 23 years old, had a vision of inculcating among the youth the qualities of competence and leadership, high moral and spiritual values and development of each individual into a total person. These would be acquired through an educational process guided by the philosophy of Dynamic Filipinism.
This philosophy has as its guiding tenets, the internalizing all that is good in the Filipino people: warmth, hospitality , innovativeness , and a high emotional quotient that has made Filipinos renowned in service oriented industries.”
This young man, Don Mariano Fortunato Jhocson , guided by this vision , founded Colegio Filipino, now NATIONAL UNIVERSITY in August 01, 1900, in Quiapo, City of Manila. It was the first non – sectarian and co – educational institution then. There were only a handful of students at that time in the fledgling School, and they were in the elementary and secondary (High School) levels. Don Mariano, in order to help the school grow, was teacher, director and janitor rolled into one.
In a short span of 5 years, he offered courses in Business – bookkeeping and accounting, convinced that thus armed, his students would be financially secure and respectable after graduation. This led to the changing of the name to Colegio Mercantil , awarding the diploma of Perito Mercantil. A short time later, the Philippine Law School was opened with the collaboration of the Lacson brothers. Don Mariano saw the dire need for training the youth for leadership and responsibility. He firmly believed that the discipline of Law would turn out men and women who would eventually be advocates for Philippine self government.
In 1916, the Board of Trustees changed the name from Colegio Mercantil to National Academy. The growth of the Academy was continuous, added Liberal Arts which became the gateway to other disciplines that followed.
After 21 years of educational service, on January 17, 1921, the Board of Trustees applied for and secured permission from the Department of Public Instruction to change the name of the National Academy to NATIONAL UNIVERSITY. On that same day, the University also installed Senator Camilo Osias, one of the most respected and outstanding Filipino educators as President of the University.
Thereafter, the Colleges of Education and Commerce were opened in the same year. During the following years, the Colleges of Pharmacy and Dentistry were opened in 1922. The College of Engineering, offering initially Civil Engineering opened in 1925 and the Normal School in 1930. Sanitary Engineering was initially offered in 1930.
From July, 1945 its facilities have since continuously expanded and the following disciplines were added – Bachelor degrees in Chemical, Electrical, Industrial, Mechanical Engineering and Architecture and Arts. Master in Sanitary Engineering was also organized.
Responding to the needs of industry and modern technology, the University started offering the following courses: Computer Science in 1990, Marine Engineering and in 1994 Computer Engineering and Electronics and Communications Engineering. College of Nursing was offered in 2004, Hotel and Restaurant Management in 2008 and Information Technology in 2009.
On January 01, 1998, a disastrous fire razed four buildings of the University – the Main Building, Law and Commerce Building, Elementary Building and the Graduate School Building. The University was able to re-open its doors after three weeks of unrelenting restoration work.
In the last quarter of year 2008, the SM Group of Companies acquired majority ownership of the National University. The all out support of the SM Group strengthened the university as higher institution with the building of new infrastructure, improved and upgraded laboratory all of which are focused in academic excellence.
Today, the University is engaged in a continuous modernization and upgrading program for its facilities, faculty and sports development. Our new University infrastructure is an 8-storey modern design building with two units of escalators and four units of elevators.
NATIONAL UNIVERSITY is a founding member of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) and is a pioneer of the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities (PACU). Its international affiliations and memberships include the Association of Southeast Asia Higher Institutions of Learning (ASAIHL) and the International Association of Universities (IAU).
Guided by the core values and characterized by our cultural heritage of Dynamic Filipinism, National University is committed to providing relevant, innovative and accessible quality education and other development programs.
We are committed to our:
STUDENTS, by molding them into life-long learners, ethical and spiritual citizens and self-directed agents of change.
FACULTY and EMPLOYEES, by enhancing their competencies, stimulating their passions, cultivating their commitment, and providing a just and fulfilling work environment.
ALUMNI, by strengthening their sense of pride through engagement, loyalty and love for their alma matter.
INDUSTRY PARTNERS and EMPLOYERS, through active collaborations, providing them Nationalians who will contribute to their growth and development.
COMMUNITY, by contributing to the improvement of the life conditions and well-being of its members.
We are National University, a dynamic private institution committed to nation building, recognized internationally in education and research.
Dynamic Filipinism is internalizing all that is best in the Filipino, with the time-honored values and deep spirituality stamped upon our education for Philippine citizenship that is compatible with global progress, kinship, and universal culture guided by intense nationalism, democracy, and evolving internationalism.
This is a reflection of who and what we are as individuals. We are honest, we are fair, we are just, and we will do right by anybody at all times.
This shows how much we value people. We can feel what they feel and we can treat each one with care and understanding regardless of any situation.
We continuously introduce creative change in something established not for the sake of change itself, but with the purpose of constantly improving and being responsive to the times.
An evidence of the strength of our character. We are not easily discouraged by trials and tribulations, but we know how to roll with the punches and spring back into action.
Nationalism is rightfully at the center of our institution and community. We display undying and devoted love for our country and everything that it stands for.
Intended for Nationalians (GAIN)
Leadership and Teamwork
Innovative, Creative, and Critical Thinking
Academic and Professional Competence
Life and Career Skills Orientation
Guided by the philosophy of Dynamic Filipinism, the National University, Philippines has developed leaders since its establishment in 1900. It upholds high standards of educational services for the holistic development of lifelong learners.
The President and CEO, with the management team, shall formulate the quality policy of the National University. The quality policy supports the vision, mission, and objectives of the University.
The Management, faculty, and staff commit to continuously improve the efficiency of operational and management processes to meet ISO 9001 and applicable statutory, regulatory, and institutional requirements.
Last reviewed & approved: July 2022 NU Management Review
About NU Nazareth School
A BRIEF HISTORY OF NU-NAZARETH SCHOOL
The story of NU-Nazareth School is filled with courage and passion for education that imbues the youth with deep faith and genuine love for God the Father and true spirit of nationalism. Her humble beginning visualized the building of an authentic Christian community with compassion for the poor and where God is Father, and everyone is a brother or a sister to each other.
The Hijas de Jesus sisters first came to the Philippines on June 18, 1932. They acquired a permit from the government to open Nazareth School starting with three elementary grade levels, adding one level each year until it was able to graduate its first batch of high school students in 1956. Nazareth School started out as a Catholic School offering basic education run by the Hijas de Jesus Congregation until its merging with NU on March 23, 2013.
In 2008, the SM Group of Companies (the largest retail business in the Philippines) acquired majority ownership of the National University (NU) which offers tertiary education. In 2013, the SM Group of Companies acquired ownership of Nazareth School and on March 23, 2013, NU Basic Education merged with Nazareth School and is now known as Nazareth School of National University or NU-Nazareth School.
With the merging, NU-Nazareth School committed to keeping the Catholic educational identity of Nazareth School. NU started to upgrade the physical facilities and administration of the school while the Hijas de Jesus sisters continued the pastoral ministry and Catholic formation of students and the educative community. It was a destiny that binds the school to its origins, as the Holy Family of Nazareth Chapel at the NU-Nazareth campus was consecrated on the same day that they came to the Philippines – June 18, 2019.
The first years of the merging were blessed with an evident increase in student population and achievements in sports.
Then came the piloting year for the implementation of the K-12 Program. In the first year in 2017, NU-Nazareth School started with thirteen (13) sections of Grade 11: four (4) ABM classes, one (1) GAS class, two (2) HUMMS classes, and six (6) STEM classes.
On the second year, the enrollment in Grade 11 more than doubled to as many as twenty-four sections: eight ABM classes, two GAS classes, four HUMMS classes, and 10 STEM classes while the same number of Grade 11 sections the previous years moved up to Grade 12.
The first batch of Grade 12 students under the K-12 Program of the Department of Education (DepEd) graduated on April 9, 2018.
Philippine National Anthem